Fran and Bunt's Western Adventure - Part 9

This post is the ninth in a 10 part series on a trip that my mother and my aunt took to the western part of the United States back in 1990.

At this point in her life my mother, Fran, was recovering from complications with her legs and other health issues. She was recently retired from an admitting clerk position she held at a local hospital. Both her and my Auntie Bunt, my father's sister, were very good friends and both widows. They were also very adventurous...

June 20 1990 Wednesday Day 23

Today is Bunt's 68th birthday, I plan on taking her out to breakfast but I gave her a card and a walking meter. We had coffee and graham crackers to get us moving, not much of a celebration but we had fun. We watched more trains, its a direct line to California and most railways in the US. We left at 8:55am. Went to downtown Cheyenne and found a going out of business store. Picked up a couple of bargains, Bunt a denim shirt ($12) and a navy jersey cardigan ($23) for me, at Fowler's Dept Store.

After buying gas ($10.37) we're on the road again. We celebrated Bunt's birthday at Anheuser Busch Fort Collins, CO. With a tour of the brewery and a free breakfast of beer and Eagle Brand snacks. We saw Bud the mascot dalmation and some rude clydsdales who turned around hind end to us after we told them they were handsome. We stopped at Fort Collins Days Inn but they didn't have what we wanted. Ramada Inn was full and we were very hot and tired. This is a big and busy college town (University of Colorado). When we tried to start the car it just wouldn't, so we called Hertz and a very intelligent girl told us that the new Camry has a antitheft device that locked the wheel and all we had to do was turn the steering wheel from left to right and that disengages the wheel. So i could put the key in correctly, off we went to Loveland, CO where we found another B.W. Town and Country ($45.36). We had a great dinner at the motel dining room of fillet mignon, delicious, then a swim. We sat at the pool in the evening and then played a little cribbage.

June 21 1090 Thursday Day 24

We left motel at 8:15 am, picked up a few groceries and had breakfast at the Village Inn in Loveland, CO. and then headed up the Rocky Mountains to Estes Park. Beautiful ride up and we saw hundreds of cyclist on their way down. It must have been fun coming down but i can't imagine climbing up especially on a bike but then they were from a different era then I am. We stopped at Estes Park Village to buy a sandwich to have later. We arrived at Timberlane Motor Lodge at 12:15 pm and at 2:45 pm we we're sitting at a picnic table eating our lunch and watching the Big Thompson River rumbling by. We had a log cabin near the river and we loved it. What a nice place to end this great trip, elevation 7522 and we're only 48 miles from loveland. It was 50 degrees when we went for our walk at 7:00 pm. I called mother and she was in Alton alone. ((Alton, NH was Fran's mother's  summer home.))

June 22 1990 Friday Day 25

We had a good nights sleep and its 62 degrees in the shade today. Our cabin doesn't look like much on the outside but its immaculate. They even washed our windows and scrubbed the flagstone steps yesterday and every one is so nice and friendly. We plan to stay here for three nights at $40 per night, with a nice clean jaccuzi and pool. We went on a trolley tour of the western part of Estes Park which included Glacier Lodge and complex (supposed to be the best in the area), YMCA (largest in u.s., sleeps 420), Trout Haven (the trout were jumping and for a fee you could catch one and have it cooked also). We ended our tour at the aerial tramway, traveled up to 8000 ft, and the view was gorgeous but poor Bunt had wet and sweaty hands trying to be a good sport. Trolley $6:00. Lunch (cold hot dog drink) $5.00, tramway $7.00 for two. We met the gentlemen who designed the tramway here and also the one at Cannon Mountain, NH. We walked to the village trying to find the trolley stop. I bought another western wildflower book. ($5,00) and we had a yogurt to supplement that cold hot dog. We finally found the trolley stop in front of the police station. We could have walked back to our motel but we didn't know we were so close. Oh well, it was a fun adventure, we walked around our complex, immaculate groomed lawns and with the Big Thompson River with its white water flowing through the area. We picked a great place this time. In the evening we went to the Barleen Family Dinner Theater and Western Show. The dinner consisted of roast beef, mashed potatoes, cold slaw, chocolate cake and all the coffee and lemonade you wanted, The show was great and I bought one of their tapes. We sat beside a couple from Cheyenne who both work in the Safeway. We we were in that store on Tuesday. It's a small world after all. We didn't have any problem finding our way home. We make quite a team.

Posted by Picasa


Popular Posts!

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back

Sepia Saturday - A Bridge Named After a Rock That Was Claimed for a King

Stone Lion