Sleepy Dad

If this post looks familiar, it was posted just a few months ago for Sepia Saturday.

What amazing information can be gleaned from a newspaper in a photo. This photo, which I scanned from thousands of old slides my mother had stored, is of my father. I knew that the date was early 60's from the label on the box.

With my editing software I was able to zoom into one of the headlines in the photo. I could make out, "U.N. Rejects Cuba's ???????? Charges." I typed into Google that exact phrase and up came this website which pretty much summarizes the news of that day.

The UN had just rejected Cuba's accusation that the US was planning an invasion. The date was November 2, 1960. The article speaks of Castro, President Eisenhower, Vice President Nixon and a Senator John F. Kennedy. Also, there is some political rumbling over an upcoming election in six days.

Dad always bought two papers on his way home from work, the Boston Globe and the local Newburyport Daily News. After dinner he would read them in the living room. November 2nd was a Wednesday, thus a work day. That's why my dad was sound asleep in his chair with the daily newspapers on his lap.

Oh yes, the silly hat? November 2nd was dad's birthday.
Posted by Picasa

Sepia Saturday is a thematic collaboration of bloggers. From a theme photo, selected by the administrators of Sepia Saturday, I try to find a matching photo in my collection. Sometimes this doesn't always work. I might match a photo or story I have already written to the theme, which can be quite a stretch.  The photo doesn't have to be a sepia photo or even match the theme. We're very flexible here. You can find more sleepy people by clicking the link in the sidebar... or maybe not.
12 comments

Popular Posts!

Hard Head or Hard Ice?

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back