Sepia Saturday - The Fall of the Falls

Click any pic to enlarge

I found this old post card among my grandmother's belongings in an old desk she had given me. It's captioned as Pokiok Falls, New Brunswick, Canada. I was curious as to why she had saved this card all these years. I had my suspicions as to why it was there because my grandfather was originally from New Brunswick. It was never used and is in fine condition.

Pokiok Falls is a former waterfall in Pokiok, New Brunswick where the Pokiok Stream emptied over a ledge into the Saint John River. I was shocked to find it was a former waterfall.

The high water level of the new Mactaquac Dam reservoir, used for power generation, submerged the waterfall and the Pokiok Gorge in 1967. The entire village of Pokiok was to be flooded, homes had to be destroyed or moved. Most residents chose to move up the road to higher ground instead of across the river to Nackawic.

All that remains now is an inlet from the Mactquac head pond. The Google street view photo below shows that inlet to the right of the bridge. It is said that in the fall when the water is drawn down in the reservoir part of the old gorge is uncovered. Part of the falls run free again.

It's a mystery was to why my grandmother kept this postcard in her old desk. I know this part of New Brunswick was my grandfather's homeland. Ironically 1967, when the falls were lost, was the year my grandfather passed away.

Perhaps the couple once picnicked here long ago?

You can "fall" into more fine Sepia Saturday posts by clicking here.
Posted by Picasa
14 comments

Popular Posts!

Hard Head or Hard Ice?

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back