Stacked Storehouse

The only post card in my collection that looks like this week's Sepia Saturday prompt is this one. The building is rather tall and I can image there would have been rooms in this building were one would find items stacked high to the ceiling, just like the prompt.

This is the former Dodge Bros. Shoe Company that sat on Merrimac and Summer Streets in Newburyport, Massachusetts. They specialized in fine womens shoes here. It burned to the ground to be replaced by a now defunct gas station as seen in Google Street View below.

In the message below, "Maude" speaks of attending lawn parties. Perhaps she wore her finest Dodge Bros. shoes there?

Postmark: Providence (RI) June 14, 1912 11:30 AM, Edgewood Station

Dear Jeanette,
Glad you let me know about the lawn party. Will be out if it don't rain, will see you there. I cannot get out very early. I had a great thing happen to me to-night. Will tell you all about it when I see you. Tell Elizabeth that Nora Gilligan has been very sick with rheumatism for two weeks but is better now. Hope Sat. will be a good day. I went to a lawn party last week, a classy one, down to Austin's.
Maude

Posted by Picasa

For more stacked Sepia Saturday posts, click here.
11 comments

Popular Posts!

Hard Head or Hard Ice?

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back