Growing Up With a Princess

The Sepia Saturday prompt this week shows Billie Holiday with her pet Boxer dog. (see below)

The first pet I ever remember was Princess a Boxer. She was my best friend in my younger years. As you can see by the following photos I spent quite a lot of time with her. In a way she was probably a second baby sitter for me as I did many things with her. Prinny, her nickname, was my sister Carol's dog. 

Prinny had a litter of pups. One the earliest memories I have is playing on a hillside in back of our home with her litter of her puppies. I vividly remember laughing hysterically as the pups crawled all over me tickling me with their tiny paws.

Boy, Boxer Dog, dog, boxer, princess, Salisbury, Massachusetts

For some reason Boxers do not have the greatest of reputations for some strangers fear them. Perhaps it's the gruff look of the breed that might frighten people. I was never frightened of Prinny. Boxers do have a reputation of being gentle and protective with children. 

Boy, Boxer Dog, dog, boxer, princess, Salisbury, Massachusetts

The Boxer on the left is Flash one of Prinny's sons. It looks as though mother is putting him in his place.

Boy, Boxer Dog, dog, boxer, princess, flash, Salisbury, Massachusetts

One of my favorite photos is this one of my sister Laurie and I lounging in the hallway of our home on top of Prinny. Look at her, she doesn't mind at all the we are laying on top of her.

Boy, Boxer Dog, dog, boxer, princess, Salisbury, Massachusetts

Prinny is quite old in this photo, probably in her final year with us.. Every winter a pond would form in the field across from our house suitable for skating. She is trying to sit but as the ice was so cold she refused to put her butt fully down.

Boy, Boxer Dog, dog, boxer, princess, Salisbury, Massachusetts

That's not a walking stick in my hand it's a hockey stick. Who would go sledding in a forest with a hockey stick, and two Boxer dogs but me? Here we are walking off into the sunset Prinny, Flash, and myself after a walk in the forest of my grandparents place in New Hampshire. 

Boy, Boxer Dog, dog, boxer, princess, Alton, New Hampshire
All Photos: Robert and Frances Peabody
sepiasaturday.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Popular Posts!

Sepia Saturday - Clam Town

Sepia Saturday - Donkey Piggy Back

Working Women